Popular Posts

Monday, February 17, 2014

What is Perfection Anyway?



Our society is a bit crazy. It asks us to run faster than we are able, do more than we can, be more than we are.

Honestly, I am getting sick of it! Aren't you? Does it make any sense to you that all the messages that we receive from commercials, TV, movies, advertising, etc., all give a message of... "You are not skinny enough, busty enough, pretty enough, stylish enough, talented enough, etc. Why do we ever listen to those messages. Of course we are enough! We may have our weaknesses and places where we lack, but in some ways those are the very things that make us beautiful and endearing to others. I love the quirky things about my friends and family members. I hate watching people around me and people I love being tortured by the insane standards that our world around us pushes. These things cause anxiety, eating disorders, and self destructive behavior. It wastes our precious energy in places it is not needed.

 It is so important to have a relationship with God, our creator. He understands us perfectly, but also will always build us up and help us realize our value/worth. Can you imagine God saying, "If only your were charming/pretty/smart/etc. enough, I would find you worthwhile." No never! He can see your divine beauty in which HE created. He loves his creations more than we will ever understand in this life. If when we needed self assurance, we can get down on our knees and asked for it. I know that he would give us that sense of self that we so desire.

When the scriptures say, "Be ye therefore perfect.(Matthew 5:48 KJV)" They are not saying, make sure your home looks like a model home every moment, nor is it saying that we need to have a perfect appearance, well behaved children, or the things that we can see on the outside. To me it means that we need to perfect our spirits, our character, and be more like Jesus Christ. To be someone with charity, an honest and pure heart, to seek to serve one another, to teach and uplift each other, to reach out and save our brothers and sisters(people surrounding us, not just family) when they need it. To say sorry when we make mistakes, and forgive when someone harms or hurts us among other things.

Trying to be perfect on the outside is exhausting! It brings no real fulfillment. You spend lots of time and energy trying to create an illusion of having it altogether. The problem with illusions is that not only are they not real, but what happens when people find out that you really aren't on top of it all and that it is just a show. That adds an extra bit of anxiety for the person who is creating this picture perfect life. They worry that somewhere down the road, people will find out the truth about their lives.

Why are we so ashamed of reality? What is wrong with having a messy house some of the time? Keeping the kids in their pajamas all day? Staying in your sweats on occasion? There is something truly beautiful about being real and genuine and sometimes falling apart. I appreciate seeing my friends houses a mess because it tells me that I am not alone. I don't judge them for that. If they truly falling behind, it is a great opportunity to serve them. Why do we think that someone would judge or reject us when our house is a mess? Well, the truth is that there is always someone out there willing to judge your mess. But real and true friends will love you no matter what. It is not your impressive illusion that makes you valuable to them, it is who you are and what you bring to the life of that friend that matters.

What kind of people do you want to surround yourself with? Those who are real and will love you for you? Or those who need to be impressed and need to see a perfect picture in order to accept you?  I would much rather have the real people who care more about our friendship than what I have or how impressively I do things. I would much rather be loved for me, than have to constantly feel like I have to jump through hoops to be considered valuable.


“Strive for excellence, not perfection, because we don't live in a perfect world.”

― Joyce Meyer



So what is my definition of perfect? To be the person that God created you/I to be. To be true to who you are, okay with your flaws and weaknesses as you try to do the best you can with what you've been given. To be perfectly and totally 100% truly you! And so I challenge you to drop all the things that you are trying to be because the world says you should and be the person that you are. There runs the risk that you may lose a friend or two in this process, or that it might be uncomfortable at first. But if you do... You will draw the right people to you, you will end up where you need to be, and your life will fit you like it never has. Good luck on your quest to be you!!!

1 comment: